Sunday 23 June 2013

On Lions, London and Limbo

So let's get the boring-to-everyone-else stuff out of the way quickly, shall we?  Yesterday was the first test match between the British and Irish Lions and Australia.  I know not everyone reading this is as interested in rugby players as I am but a Lions tour is a pretty special event.  Every 4 years the best of the English, Irish (North and South combined - rugby doesn't discriminate), Welsh and Scottish players stop hacking each other to pieces and become best friends, jetting off to either Australia, New Zealand or South Africa to show that Northern Hemisphere teams are just as good as the Southern ones.  For the host nations, it only happens once every 12 years and so it's almost as special to them as it is us.  The Lions have done well in the warm-up matches, only losing one so far, and the first Test yesterday was a very, very close-run thing.  The Lions won by 2 points, although the Aussies lost three key players to injury (they should also be minus their captain for the next test after he was cited) and neither of their kickers could slot the ball over to save their lives.  It was a helluva game and the next 2 tests are going to be very, very interesting...RAWR!!

Now usually I'd be watching the match live but yesterday I was out and about all day having fun, so I had to resort to the powers of Sky+.  (What did we do before Sky+?  Oh, that's right - we recorded onto VHS tapes...blimey, VHS.  Those were the days, eh?)   I digress...so, yesterday.  Well, I met up with a really, really good friend of mine in our fair Capital and it was FABULOUS.  Nick and I always have a great time anyway when we meet up, but yesterday we spent most of the day at London Zoo which was brilliant.  We saw Penguins.  PENGUINS!!!  I'm sorry, but that calls for this video again...


You CANNOT be depressed after seeing this video, I swear...so yes, we saw penguins and various assorted other animals.  We also witnessed a small child nearly getting a monkey jump on her head (I laughed).  I don't know what it is about London Zoo but it always puts a smile on my face; the fact that the company was so good just made it even better.  It really was a fantastic day and Nick, I can't thank you enough xx

As it turns out though, the best was yet to come.  Yes, I saw something that made me smile even more than  the penguins.  I hope you were sitting down when you read that; if not, I apologise for any bruises you may have accumulated just now when you hit the floor.  The (in) famous Underbelly festival has currently hit London's Southbank, alongside the less well known but utterly bonkers-brilliantness that is the London Wonderground.  For my birthday present, Nick got us ringside seat tickets to see "Limbo", a sexier, funnier, retro Cirque du Soleil-type circus show which was INCREDIBLE.  I swear, it's the most breathtaking, exhilarating thing I've ever seen.  I'm still smiling about it now.  It's only a small venue, and a small cast, but it was utterly, utterly WONDROUS.  To see the acts that close, every bead of sweat on every rippling muscle...wow.  Just wow.  I'm going to go see it again.  I may very well try and drag some of you with me.  It won't be a disappointment, I promise.  I have seen a man balancing on metal poles, I have seen a woman swallow swords and eat fire, I have seen a man curl his body round a pole and drop like a stone, I have seen a woman do a striptease hanging by her neck and feet on chains above my head.  Most thrillingly of all, I have had a man strap himself to a bendy pole directly in front of me and sway above my head.  It. Was. INCREDIBLE.  I genuinely don't have the words to do it justice, nor does the trailer have the impact the live show does, but it might give you an idea of it's insane brilliance...


Amazing.  Absolutely, utterly, wonderfully bonkers brilliant.  I want to see it again.  Please excuse me, I'm off to strap myself to a bendy pole so I can run away and join the circus...

No comments:

Post a Comment