Monday 5 January 2015

Rediscovering My Inner Disney Fiend...

This past Saturday afternoon and most of the evening I went and looked after my friend’s two kids. He has a daughter of 8 and a son of 5; they are two of the most entertaining, questioning, occasionally-infuriating Small People I have ever met, and it’s always a joy to spend time with them. Sometimes, of course, it’s even more joyful to give them back…

I digress. So. Saturday. The weather was appalling on Saturday; I had to go to out in the morning and got absolutely soaked, so there was no way in hell I was going to take the kids out anywhere after I'd just dried myself off (I am a cruel and horrible person, who insists on her own creature comforts taking priority over small children’s desires to go out and jump in puddles or play football in the mud. So sue me), and so I decreed an afternoon of snuggling on the sofa watching Disney films. We even had snacks. That’s how good an auntie I am, people – I will feed your children potato-based edible goods with glasses of squash. Mary bloody Poppins, me…

I digress. Again. (I do that, sorry…) So yes. Disney films. Between me and the kids, we must have at least two thirds of the ‘classic’ Disney films and all the Disney/Pixar ones. They have loads, whereas my collection is smaller but, I like to think, more discerning. So I packed up my DVDs and trundled over to their house for a cosy afternoon/evening reliving my childhood as we took it in turns to pick a film to watch. There were only three ground rules for our Disney experience.

1) No “High School Musical”, “Hannah Montana” or anything of that ilk. Mostly because they’re basically rubbish, but actually because we were doing what I see as ‘proper’ Disney – animated films or Pixar/CGI-based ones only (plus that got me out of watching poxy “Mary Poppins”, which is one of the worst films I have ever seen in my entire life and brings out unnaturally violent tendencies in my Good Self. It did also mean no “Bedknobs and Broomsticks”, infinitely superior to Poppins in every way, and also no “Enchanted” which I love in spite of myself, but sometimes we must make sacrifices for the Greater Good).

2) No “The Princess and the Frog”. Now I have heard excellent things about TPatF – 1920’s New Orleans setting, spunky non-white heroine who has Big Dreams (which aren't “find True Love”), excellent soundtrack, return to ‘Classic Disney’ animation – but it has one fatal flaw. Frogs. Given my phobic pathological terror of frogs there is no way in hell I can bring myself to watch it; I tried once, but had to admit defeat and sit whimpering in a corner. The only frog I’m not scared of is Kermit. Fact. So TPatF was out.  

3) Absolutely, categorically no “Frozen”. Under any circumstances. Just…no. In spite of the 8 Year Old loving it to death and singing that bloody “Let It Go” song every five minutes, I had to put my foot down. “Frozen” is a cinematic abomination which should be burned at the stake, along with every critic and Disney executive who bleats “but it’s feminist!!” No. No it isn't. It’s hideous. (Incidentally, for a really good deconstruction of said film which chimes quite nicely with my own feelings – and which is surprisingly in-depth in relation to looking at other Disney ‘Princess’ films as well – this is a really good thing for you to read: https://medium.com/@directordanic/the-problem-with-false-feminism-7c0bbc7252ef It says everything far more eloquently than I ever could, mainly because I get so blinded with rage when it comes to this film I become incoherent…)

And so, ground rules in place, we proceeded to go on a Magical Mystery Tour of Disney films. Blimey. I’d actually forgotten how good some of those early films were. Obviously Pixar are basically geniuses (geni-i?) who only seem to falter occasionally (“Cars” and “Aeroplanes” weren’t so great, but they did “Brave”, “Wall-E” and “Up” as well and so are pretty much forgiven for everything else), but I haven’t sat and watched a lot of the early animated stuff, or the so-called “Disney Renaissance” films in years, and so it was surprisingly really good to sit and watch them again.

Now clearly if I was going to be objective, scientific and analytic about it I could pretty much pull every single one of these movies apart with my teeth and bare hands. They certainly have their flaws – how many would pass the Bechdel Test, for example, and why oh why is being a Pretty Princess and finding True Love the raison d’être for most of them? As a fully-grown, fairly rational woman who considers herself a paid-up member of the feminist cause I should be ripping them to shreds for the whole, “Someday Your Prince Will Come, so long as you’re Beautiful, Good, have an affinity for singing anthropomorphic animals and can Overcome Terrible Adversity, often in the form of a wicked female relative” bullshit they peddle – but I got so caught up in just how bloody good they are that I kinda forgot to be objective.  My bad...?

No.  Mot definitely not my bad.

I mean this is Disney, people! Proper, Classic Disney!! Cinderella! Sleeping Beauty! Beauty and the Beast! Aladdin! Peter Pan! Robin Hood! The Aristocats! The Little Mermaid! Mulan! Pocahontas! The Lion King!

How can you not love this stuff?!! And we didn't even get on to “Tangled” or “Brave” or any of the other Pixar/CGI ones because we were too busy watching the old-school, hand-drawn classics and loving it.

So yes, I totally left aside my cynicism and put my Inner Raging Feminist in her box (“stop with all this ‘one day my Prince will come’ crap and get some perspective, love!” etc) and instead totally embraced my Inner Child. I still know all the songs in “The Little Mermaid” and maintain that Ariel was a role model for us wild rebellious redheads long before Merida came along. I can still recite chunks of “The Aristocats” word for word. “Beauty and the Beast” is still my favourite Disney film ever. “Mulan” is still a kick-ass heroine who gets brutally short-changed by society-at-large not appreciating the awesomeness of this film. We all cried at Mufasa’s death in “The Lion King” and danced to all the songs for no reason. I had totally forgotten what a good film “Pocahontas” actually is, in spite of the blatant fabrication of the actual historical events, and still think “Colours of the Wind” is one of the best songs Disney ever concocted.

That’s not the half of it, either. Having watched all these again I now want to go back and watch some of the other ones I loved as a kid which don’t seem to get as much love these days. Oliver and Company. The Rescuers (man, I wanted to be as classy as Bianca!) An American Tail. Basil the Great Mouse Detective. Heck, I could probably even sit through Hercules again without wanting to scratch my eyes out (Hades was pretty cool, now that I think about it…)

Having looked into the Disney films I remember watching as a kid, Wikipedia has just furnished me with a whole list of films which I’d either forgotten about or didn't know Disney actually did (“The Swiss Family Robinson” being a case in point – I wanted to race a zebra), so I fear I may have reached some kind of dreadful tipping point of sanity.

And this is where I am confused. I genuinely don’t understand how a company which can produce something as brilliant and groundbreaking (for its time) as “Fantasia” or “Beauty and the Beast” can then proceed to dump all over its legacy with the likes of bloody “Frozen”. Guys. Come on. You’re Disney. As much as we all bitch and moan about how terrible these films are (“not feminist, terrible role models for girls etc etc etc) – all of which may be true to a greater or lesser extent – it’s what you do. And you do it better than anyone. Do you know how many times I have sat over my 32 years of existence on this planet and wept – genuinely, broken-heartedly wept – over the fate of a fictional, animated, usually anthropomorphic animal you have created? I still can’t watch Mufasa’s death in “the Lion King” without welling up; what you did to Bambi’s mother traumatised me from a very early age and don’t even get me started on the agonies I suffered over poor Alice’s plight when she got lost in Wonderland. My mother will tell you how inconsolable I was aged about 3 watching that. People don’t watch Disney films for some “right-on” feminist message or as a study in race relations (come on, like you’d ever get “Song of the South” made these days). Although to be fair, Disney, this doesn't excuse you from any of the charges laid at your door. Just so you don’t, y’know, get complacent or anything...no, people watch them because they are pure heart-warming, entertaining escapism, a fact I had completely forgotten until this weekend in my rush to be all "right on" and condescending and snippy.

So no, they might not be bastions of feminism or give little girls (and little boys, for that matter) the "right" idea about life.  They may very well be patronising, self-serving, twee and entirely without merit in this cynical world we seem to so pride ourselves on living in.  And yet I have a feeling I'll be digging out more of these films over the weeks to come. I may tell myself it’s because I want to rip them to shreds for their failure to produce anything even vaguely resembling an appropriate role model for girls, (“just be pretty and vaguely needy and Prince Charming will come and sweep you off your feet!") but I have a sneaky suspicion it’ll actually have more to do with the fact I just want to escape for a bit and feel like a kid again.


Now where did I hide “Cinderella”…?

No comments:

Post a Comment